Welcome to Homemaking Heaven: Make it Home. Pull up a seat and pour yourself a cuppa!

Tuesday 29 December 2009

The Simple Pleasures

One of the things that makes me happiest is rummaging. I adore charity shops, antiquarian shops, antique shops, fairs, fetes and anything of the sort! My favourite things, besides brown paper packages tied up with string, most certainly are china and books.




As a librarian the latter is easily explained. I also did history- so I spent most of my undergraduate years rummaging through monographs and periodicals in the basement of the library desperately seeking primary sources. My love of china has been with me since I was a little girl. I was the girliest of little girls and played with my plastic china tea set all of the time. My Sylvanian Families also had little tea sets, as did my Polly Pockets and all my tiny dollies!





I always think of my Granny when I go looking for my tea sets, either in my china cabinet or in a shop. I can always remember her setting places at the big wooden table in the kitchen of the tenement flat she lived in. It was the most beautiful home you can think of, a proper old fashioned on with a giant kitchen and Sheila’s Maid hanging above you as you nibbled on Victoria sponge.

I often think that i want to prepare a home like that for my family. We can not wait to have children of our own, and i think when everyone gets to the broody stage they know what kind of nest they want to make for their family. I know that ours will be like the home of my Granny.





No comments: