Welcome to Homemaking Heaven: Make it Home. Pull up a seat and pour yourself a cuppa!

Monday 15 April 2013

Free Heat

I’d been in the grumpiest of grumpy moods recently. On Friday we found out that we had went through all of the gas in the tank which was a lot of money and only went in on the 21st of December. I had counted on it lasting quite a while and to say I was shocked doesn’t quite cover it. I’d been down and gloomy for a couple of days prior to that, but started to think of Thursday that a line had to be drawn under it and what will be, would be.

Fridays test was exactly that, but after my initial mini-meltdown on the train on the way home we sort of saw that we couldn’t linger on it. I am not putting more gas in the tank, we don’t need the radiators and we harldy use the hot water from the tap. If its not paid for it isn’t there, and if it isn’t there we can’t use it. We do use the multi-fuel stove and I’ve been out collecting sticks while on walks that always are good for kindling.

On Saturday night we had a night of ‘free heat’ with all of the sticks I had, so my new goal is to have more ‘free heat’ nights each month. We started to cut down some of the fencing in the back garden which we have piled up in the garage and apparently to find out if we can have the fallen sticks in one of the fields behind us we just have to contact the council. Hopefully they’ll say yes and I can start stock piling. The weather took a turn for the better the during the weekend so last night we didn’t even have to use the heater in the bedroom. Sooner or later I’m not going to have to pay out month after month and that can only be a good thing for the savings account.

1 comment:

sadie said...

that must be so annoying, for gas not to last as long as you hope/expect. fuel of all kind is so expensive, and with our longer winters, well, it's costing a not so small fortune!

But yep, seems like the weather is turning.

I love your frugal free heat idea!

p.s loving the sewing bee on BBC2, it's just the best show on telly for ages!

x